[Yanel-dev] Getting started with OSGi

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Mar 9 13:34:33 CET 2011

Hi

I have a feeling that it makes sense to have a closer look at OSGi.

Whereas there seem to be two possibilities to run an OSGi runtime

1) Java -> Tomcat/Jetty -> Servlet -> OSGi runtime (e.g. Apache Felix)

2) Java ->OSGi runtime -> "Servlet"

but for backwards compatibility and in order to run within a clustered
environment I would
argue that (1) is our choice. Also see

http://eclipse.dzone.com/articles/embedding-osgi-tomcat
http://css.dzone.com/articles/osgi-and-servlets-can-work
http://sling.apache.org/site/discover-sling-in-15-minutes.html
http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/deploying/configuring_osgi.html
http://www.osgi.org/Download/File?url=/download/r4v42/r4.enterprise.pdf
(section 128)

Another question is what do we consider an OSGi bundle. I have discussed
this with Marc
offline and he suggests to start with considering a resource as a
"bundle" and Yanel itself as "bundle".
To get started one might want to have a look at

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2008/jw-03-osgi1.html
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-osgi-tutorial.html

Re dynamic loading of third party resource types/bundles (e.g. Simon's
Slideshow/Gallery) from other servers/domains, Marc thinks it makes more
sense to do this by ourselves (e.g. Ant-Maven) than via OSGi (whereas it
would/should also be possible by OSGi).

Cheers

Michael