[Yanel-dev] Fwd: AW: [magnolia-user] Image upload in fckEditor

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Nov 17 11:05:32 CET 2010

Hi

Maybe something to learn from.

Cheers

Michael

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	AW: [magnolia-user] Image upload in fckEditor
Date: 	Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:49:58 +0000
From: 	Unger, Richard <Richard.Unger at lfrz.at>
To: 	Magnolia User-List <user-list at magnolia-cms.com>

Hello Lutz!

I've been faced with similar problems. Basically, embedding images using th=
e rich text editor currently has several problems:

* If using the upload feature, images are saved directly in binary properti=
es within the website repository. To me, this is very ugly - these "propert=
y images" have no metadata, they don't show up in the adminCentral backend,=
 and are generally a pain to deal with.

* The fckEditor does not allow use of magnolia's "image variations" feature=
. This means that the embedded images will always be "full size", possibly =
scaled by the browser. You can't make use of magnolia's imaging module.

* the integration in magnolia does not show previews when picking images, a=
nd does not allow upload into DMS.

* fckEditor allows setting image attributes (border, height, width, style, =
etc...) that we don't really want to allow our editor's to touch. Also, the=
 GUI is a little complicated for our editors, who are not all "power-users".

* I'll repeat it once more: the fckEditor images have no access to metadata=
 - there's no way to automatically set fields like "alt" or "title" on the =
embedded image, even when picking a DMS image with metadata. You can't auto=
mate WCAG or things like source-credits for photos in this way, which is an=
 important requirement for us.

* Finally, there are some  bugs (like the one you mention), and fckEditor i=
s a bit outdated anyway.

I'm working on solving the problem by writing a new "ckEditor module", base=
d on the newer CKEditor (fckEditor's successor).
The new module works similarly to the old fckEditor module, but addresses t=
he problems described above. It works together with an extended repository =
browser to allow image previews and DMS uploads.
I have a first version which is about 50% there. This first version was wri=
tten without modifying either magnolia or CKEditor, and has some shortcomin=
gs. In the next version, I plan to write a custom "magnolia-image" plugin f=
or CKEditor, and a complete replacement for the current repository browser.=
 I think this second version will then finally solve the problem in a nice =
way. If my project allows, I will share this version with the community.

If you do anything in this direction yourselves, I would be very interested.

Also, Magnolia 4.4 is slated to ship with its own "ckEditor" plugin (accord=
ing to the planning on the Wiki :-) ), so I also wonder what the status on =
that is, and whether it might solve your problems.

Regards from Vienna,

Richard Unger

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----