[Yanel-dev] redeploying WARs fully automatically

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Wed Apr 14 15:02:31 CEST 2010

Guillaume Déflache wrote:
> Hi!
>
> At lunch we discussed what still prevent Yanel webapps to be
> redeployed fully automatically.
>
> A few things we could think of:
> - WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties file which ATM use absolute paths
> for the various log files
> - WEB-INF/classes/realms.xml which must point to at least one custom
> realm: ATM we do that using an absolute path
>
> We thought we could maybe use the servlet context temporary
> directory[1] to store the realms.xml file itself or even the path
> under which it may be found.

Btw, the realms.xml path is already configured within
local/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/webapps/yanel/WEB-INF/classes/yanel.xml

re the working/temp dir I guess you mean with

File dir = (File) getServletContext()

     .getAttribute(
     "javax.servlet.context.tempdir");

right?

> I am not so sure it's a good idea since it looks like this directory
> may be deleted without notice: the application may be unable to
> restart automatically if this happens... :/

if the paths of the realms are wrong within classes/realms.xml then it
doesn't start either ;-)

I think the question is what situations is this directory deleted.

Let me give it a try ...

Cheers

Michi