[Yanel-dev] Re: [Yanel-commits] rev 48566 - public/yanel/trunk/src/resources/file/src/java/org/wyona/yanel/impl/resources/node

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Apr 9 15:26:40 CEST 2010

Guillaume Déflache wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Wechner schrieb:
>> Dear Guillaume
>>
>> As discussed before lets please discuss such changes beforehand:
>>
>> - Explain what you intend to do and how you want to use this
>
> I already explain the intent months ago in "[Yanel-dev] separating
> content from application code &  configuration (or getting rid of
> "app" directory in repository e.g. data/app/)"
> http://lists.wyona.org/pipermail/yanel-development/2009-November/004154.html
> on which I had no feedback.

just remind people once again

> The change compared to that message is that I found an even simpler
> solution for the "3.2)" point there that is fully backward-compatible
> and IMHO does no harm, so I just committed "out of enthousiasm", sorry...
> Maybe I should reply to my own message and explain this new solution
> there?

please do

>> - Make examples/document it
>
> I will be glad to do that once we agree on the details like the name
> of the RC property.
> BTW I already tested that on the project I am currently starting,
> works great.
> We can probably illustrate it on any public realm that uses a
> "data/app"-like directory, and maybe add a HTTPUnit or Canoo test for
> that while we are at it.

yes, you should do that

>> Maybe there are other possibilities to acomplish what you  want to
>> acomplish.
>
> Maybe, but nobody stepped up to suggest any so far,

Well, I think it's better to use a protocol:

http://documentation.yanel.wyona.org/wiki/wiki/Unstructured%20Points

e.g.

src="yanelrepo:REALM_ID:REPO_ID:/index.html"

and in your particular case

src="yanelrepo::app:/index.html"

WDYT?

> and I did not want to start a project with a "data/app" directory ever
> again, because we all know it cause lots of deployment problems

you mean because of the CHANGE_LOG?

If you have files within a separate repository, you will still have to
synchronize these repositories and chances
are there that people do make changes on the productive environment. So
I don't think the problems
will go away completely, but I agree it will make it easier

> (as you reminded me lately when I introduced a "data/admin" directory
> for storing mockup XHTML pages).

I think that's a different case