[Yanel-dev] direct file access

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Thu May 7 10:50:52 CEST 2009

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> simon litwan schrieb:

>>> i think it would make sense.
>> should i provide a patch. with something like
>>
>> public File getFile() {
>
> my guts feeling tells me that introducing such a method is a bad thing,
> mainly because
> one breaks the exchangebility of the data repo implementation. It
> doesn't hurt the API or anything like that, but
> it somehow encourages "bad behaviour". WDOT?

I think it's not so bad as breaking it would be intentional by adding a
cast, and that alone makes it explicit and greppable. Also doing this is
not encouraging anything as you have to put a little extra effort
(granted only a few more characters) to do it, which is IMHO better than
having to give up using Yanel altogether! ;)

> As said I would rather first talk to the xuggle guys, especially since
> they really seem to be into Open Source.

Sure, it would be nicer.